Thursday, January 6, 2011

Set back to training

I just got back from the doctor's office with some bad news. He diagnosed an injury I sustained in training last night as a calf muscle tear and a an Achilles tendon sprain. I felt it pop as I went to do a left switch kick and the pain was immediate. I was told to stay off of it for 2 weeks and not to do any kicking or leg type training for 2 MONTHS!!!! Not sure if that is going to be possible, but I understand his caution. The pain and stiffness have both decreased since last night, which seems like a good sign to me, but my mobility is less as the pain is evident on even the slightest contraction of the muscle.

I spoke with my trainer, who I personally think is the best, and he wanted me to stay engaged with the classes and training even if I am only able to sit and watch. It is his feeling that there is a lot for me to gain as a fighter by just observing and being around my teammates. This made my day because it made me realize that there are so many aspects to this sport that one could work on outside of the sheer physical training. I need to be mentally into what I am doing and this is a way to keep my focus where it should be. There is also a lot I could learn from observing others, which is not something you normally do when you are participating in the drills.

Right now, my plan is to focus on working on my abs and chin ups. I will continue to do this for the next two weeks to keep active. I also want to add a few more core drills in there, but I need to find moves that do not require my legs in the short term. As far as the gym goes, I will be going in and taking notes and possibly some videos. I may even post them on this site, but mostly these are for me to study so I do not fall behind. I am also looking for info and maybe even some books that refer to foods and remedies that help muscle and tendon injuries. I will post anything I find.

As for right now, I am going to get back to the resting and elevation part of my rehab. I will post more tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment