Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Greasing the Groove

Since starting back into MMA, I have been looking for new techniques and routines for improving my strength and agility. I noticed that no matter how much I lifted and what types of routines I was using, my strength did not seem to improve too much. I was certainly getting bigger, but my muscles were always fatigued and sore, and the mass I was putting on was making me less flexible. Injury was always something I was concerned about because of the muscle fatigue and lack of flexibility.

I then heard about body weight lifting and decided I would take a peek. I was turned on to Pavel Tsatsouline by a video blogger on YouTube by the name of silverfuturist. Here is a link to his actual post about it: silverfuturist

I checked out Naked Warrior, and I highly suggest you do the same on the right, and was blown away by the simplicity of the program. It is very difficult to perform some of these moves in the very beginning, but by following Pavel's instructions, I have found myself doing the moves and gaining more strength each week. I could not believe that simple body weight exercises could be so beneficial. His program also does not take you to muscle failure, which was great for me because I was able to continue fighting at a high level with no risk of injury like before.

His method of GTG (Greasing the Groove) allows me to work on my overall strength throughout the day without spending all my time in a gym working one or two exclusive muscle groups. This allows me to continue to focus on work, family, and actual fight training. I loved this book and highly recommend that any of my followers check it out.

That is all for now. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment